Sunday 23 March 2014

PSK31 on the BITx

Changes being (reputedly) as good as rests, I decided to try working some PSK31 on my multi-band BITx...

I have just acquired an iPad Mini (with which I am delighted) and I stumbled across the PSKer app on the iTunes App Store...


I am not famous for buying things - but I decided that £1.99 was a fair price to pay, so I went ahead and installed it on my new iPad.



There are a few descriptions on the 'net concerning methods to make direct electrical connections to the iPad to use with PSKer - but I decided to use an "acoustic" interface for this first test, so I positioned the rig's speakers near the iPad and confirmed I could decode the signal detected by the internal microphone...


Transmitting was slightly more tricky - I needed to hold my little h/b "fist" mic near the iPad's speakers and press the PTT button, then press the correct little soft button on the iPad's touch screen...


Tricky or not - IT WORKS! I was soon able to work PSK31 on 40m...

I had my first QSO with Pavel, ok1aw, who sent an email in confirmation...


Then I was pleased to work Paul, gw0tau, in Swansea.

This was such fun that I might just make up a set of interface cables to work some more PSK31 on the BITx - but perhaps I'll opt for the comfort and convenience of DigPan on the desktop PC next time.

For now, I'm going to work a few more stations from the iPad.

...-.- de m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment