Friday 20 May 2016

Author Event

Earlier this week we went back to Saint Marys, OH, to visit with Larry Kramer - owner of Saint Marys Hobby Center. We had first met a year back, when we parked our rental car - by chance - outside the same store on Wednesday, 13th May, 2015 and heard Larry tell the story of the Miami and Erie Canal, which runs through Saint Marys and explains the nearby Great Lake.

It was Larry's infectious enthusiasm for history and his natural gifts as a storyteller which turned my intentions to keep a private journal into the idea to write something more public - so, naturally I wanted to thank Larry and give him a copy of my book...



Larry had already read the library's copy of my book (!) but I wanted him to have his own, personal copy. Larry was even promoting my book on his store front...



The next day, we visited some more of the remains of the canal, particularly in the nearby town of New Bremen, which boasts restored lock in the centre of town and a lock-keeper's cottage, now used as a museum and the offices for the Chamber of Commerce...



Then I was pleased to give a talk about my book at an 'Author Event' at Saint Marys Community Public Library, in which I picked up the theme of the local canal and the importance of waterways to the opening up of the entire US economy - the same story taught me by Larry, repeated in chapter 11 of my book and picked up again as the story was repeated on our journey west last year.

I was fortunate that my talk was attended by a talented reporter from The Daily Standard, Claire Giesige, who gave my talk a really nice write up in the next day's edition...


Thanks to Beth and all the staff at the Library who made the event possible - I had a great time.

...-.- de m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment